Custom Search

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Memories of a Great Father



November 29,2008…

After the laboratory tests, we learned that his creatinine count was 600. The normal count should only be 120. He was suffering from sepsis because of kidney failure. He needed dialysis treatment in order to survive… for life fearfully… The doctors did what they could do…

Despite the condition, I remained optimistic. My mom was in tears. She was scared that my dad would not make it but I was steadfast. I told her, “Diddy would recover after the dialysis…”

My dad was a strong man with a strong faith in God. He was a great father. He would cover me with a blanket as I slept at night and massage my paralyzed legs tirelessly every morning even after his stroke. He would not eat breakfast until I was awake because we always ate together…

I was active in church ministry all because he was religiously taking me to church every Saturday and Sunday until he suffered from stroke in January of 2006. Since he could no longer drive, our church van started to pick me up every Sunday afternoon for our vesper service. Still, he would not let me leave on my own. He would use the little strength left in him to help the church driver pull me up of my wheel chair onto the van.

At church, he would fix everything that I would need as an organist: carry the organ to the designated place, connecting the cables to the electric outlet and to the amplifier. He would get a music stand for my hymnbooks and music sheets. He could easily get exasperated whenever the other users would not return the equipment to their proper places after using them because it would be harder for us to set up…

My dad was the wind beneath my wings… the feet that kept me standing up…

Photo Courtesy:
http://www.dbh.nhs.uk/Library/MediaServicesImages/Renal%20Dialysis.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...