Custom Search

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mom’s Special Request for her 80th Birthday



Mom has special request for her 80th birthday. She wants me to sing to her a song that Dad used to sing to her just before they get married. Actually, she couldn’t remember the title but she remembers the words in the song- “kiss me and smile for me”. I guess, clearly it is “Leaving On A Jet Plane” by John Denver.

She says, before Dad has made his marriage proposal, he is supposed to leave for Mindanao (Southern Philippines) for combat assignment (Dad’s a Marine). Of course, he cannot defy that order so he just wants to get married before he leaves (it seems to fit the story the song tells). Well, Mom just couldn’t say no. 

Without Dad knowing first hand, when his friends in the Marines have learned about his plans to get married, they have made the necessary arrangements so that Dad could be relieved of his combat duty temporarily because he is getting married. The commander has granted the request so the wedding preparation has followed. The rest is history.

I just don’t know how I would be able to sing it in church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...